Monday, November 14, 2016

MILLENNIAL: I VOTED FOR TRUMP AND I’M NOT DEPLORABLE

MILLENNIAL: I VOTED FOR TRUMP AND I’M NOT DEPLORABLE

I am a white, educated, male millennial, and I voted for Donald Trump. And I am proud to have done so.

No, I am not racist, sexist, etc. I don’t need to justify that to anyone.

The people who know me already know this.

First and foremost, I voted for Trump because, as a college-educated millennial, I have yet to find what I consider “gainful employment.” Sure, I’ve had several jobs, although I am currently unemployed. Trump plans to bring jobs back to America by lowering corporate taxes. Blue-collar jobs also bring associated white-collar jobs in administration, finance, etc. This would be good for everyone.

Second for me was taxes. Too many Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and are being strangled by taxes. I reject any proposition for raising taxes for any person or company, no matter the income level.

It’s easy to frame these two points in favor of a billionaire business owner, and yes, the Trump organization and hundreds of other major corporations will benefit greatly from this.
But so will small businesses, and isn’t that the whole point of living in a capitalist society? I’d rather bet on myself to raise my quality of life than rely on free handouts to maintain a comparatively lower one.

Health care is my third reason. I am currently one year away from being required to fund my own, federally required health insurance, and the rising premiums nationwide will strangle middle-class families. I’m terrified of the prospect of potentially paying 20 percent or more of my income for health care.

No, Trump has not laid out a clear plan for health care yet, but how could it be any worse than the current “Affordable” Care Act?

Other reasons include: maintaining a Supreme Court that believes in the Constitution and the current Second Amendment, securing our borders to ensure immigrants come to our country legally, and taking care of our veterans.

Trump and his supporters are not xenophobic for wanting secure borders and a suspension of the refugee program. I feel deeply for immigrants and refugees who are desperate for our help. But we need to align our priorities and take care of our own legal Americans first. That does not make us xenophobic or racist.

Sure, Trump has done and said some deplorable things in his past.
Some of these things may or may not be true. But until Jan. 20, he has never been an elected public official. Hillary Clinton has been an elected or appointed public official for much of her life, and she too has done and said some deplorable things in her past. Many of these have been proved over and over again, in writing. There’s no speculation about that. And the corruption that has existed around her and her family for nearly 30 years is undeniable.

I was deeply offended by her claiming that half of Trump’s supporters fall into what she calls “a basket of deplorables.” Am I, an educated, middle-class worker, part of that group? Are blue-collar workers nationwide? Are the women who supported Trump?

That was one of the most deplorable things said this entire election season by any member of any party.

For the past 18 months, Trump defeated every single person who publicly shamed him. He defeated the establishment GOP with flying colors. The liberal media slammed him without quit. But he did not quit.

I’m truly inspired by Trump’s resilience, vision and inability to take no for an answer. We all need to adopt more of those qualities in our lives.

I couldn’t be prouder to support Donald Trump, to have voted for him in the primary and general election, and for him to be our next president.

It’s time for the shaming to stop, and it’s time to unite behind our democratically elected leader of the free world.


Ohio State University graduate Frank Myers is a Montgomery resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis